Nutella is marketed as a cool breakfast food and delicious snack for kids and adults. While it has a cult like following, I don’t think anyone is fooled by the idea is it healthy and there are many good reasons to swap the Nutella for my Notella – a healthy chocolate hazelnut spread!
Nutella is a very popular spread that adults and kids all enjoy, however, if you dare to read the ingredients you will see it is full of bad fats, palm oil, soy, skim milk powder and flavourings not the mention A LOT of sugar, in fact the sugar is the main ingredient. The one redeming ingredient is the hazelnuts, but they make up on 13% of the entire jar.
I’m definitely not opposed to anyone having a sweet treat, but we can do better than this chemical concoction which essentially has no nutritional value.
My notella is full of good fats, magnesium rich cacao, and while it still has some sweeteners they are not processed and therefore provide nutrition as well as sweetness. Hazelnuts are a great match with chocolate and a good source of B vitamins, zinc and oleic acid which has been shown to improve cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation.
Best of all this notella tastes amazing and is good for you.
1 cup hazelnuts
2 tablespoons cacao powder
1/4 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey (or a combination)
1 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons coconut oil or macadamia oil or mix of both
Coconut cream optional: gives a silkier, creamier texture
- Warm the nuts up in the oven then remove the skins by rubbing the nuts together in a tea towel. (To be honest I skip this step because my kids don’t complain about the taste or texture but you may not want to risk it).
- Place nuts in a food processor and blend until smooth. This can take a few minutes depending on your blender.
- Add cacao powder, add sweetener of choice, vanilla, cinnamon and oil.
- Whizz up all ingredients.
- If you like it thick (my kids do) then you’re done. If you like it a bit smoother add a little coconut cream, bit by bit, and whizz until desired consistency.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge and don’t eat it all at once!