Savoury Chickpea Flour Pancakes
Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, offer several gut health benefits due to their nutritional composition. They are high in fibre, protein and are great for your gut health. This recipe is both gluten and dairy free and freezes well.
Chickpea flour, also known as Besan flour or Gram flour is a popular Indian and Bangladeshi cooking. Most supermarkets in Australia stock Besan flour and it is very economical with a number of health benefits.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or coriander
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped capsicum
- Handful of baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: yogurt, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, or rocket
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chickpea flour, baking powder, cumin, turmeric and coriander. Mix well to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
- Slowly pour in the water while whisking the batter to avoid any lumps. Continue whisking until you have a smooth, pourable batter.
- Add the chopped herbs, onion, spinach and capsicum to the batter. Stir well to incorporate the vegetables into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the batter rest for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Heat a frypan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and spread it evenly across the surface.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter onto the skillet, spreading it into a round shape with the back of the ladle. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the edges are golden brown and the center is cooked through. Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
- As you cook each pancake, transfer it to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel to keep them warm.
- Serve the savoury chickpea flour pancakes warm with your favourite toppings such as Greek yogurt, chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, or a handful of rocket and squeeze of lemon juice.
Enjoy these flavorful and protein-packed chickpea flour pancakes as a delicious and nutritious meal for breakfast, brunch, or a light lunch. They can also be served as an appetizer or a side dish alongside a salad or soup. Experiment with different spices and vegetable add-ins to create your own variations of this versatile recipe.
If you need support with your gut health or health and wellbeing generally book a free 15 min discovery call to learn how I can help you with your health and wellbeing goals.