This delicious banana fig and cinnamon bread is ideal for lunch boxes or morning tea. Its not too sweet and packed with protein and good fats to susutain hunger through to lunch time. It also makes a good breakfast on the go.
I have provided nut free, dairy free and gluten free options in the recipe.
- 2 cups of flour (Regular, white spelt or gluten free flour will all work well)
- ½ a cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder (Aluminum free)
- 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- ½ a cup of coconut sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 cups of over ripe bananas – smashed with a fork, a great job for little kids
- 1 cup of roughly chopped fresh figs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ a cup of soft butter, light olive oil or macadamia nut oil
Preheat your over to 165°C
Grease and line a loaf tin (base size approx. 12 x 22 cm)
Combine the dry ingredients:
Flours, baking powder, cinnamon and coconut sugar
Separately combine wet ingredients:
3 eggs, bananas, figs, vanilla, and oil or butter.
Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. You can mix well with a wooden spoon or blitz for a few seconds in a blender.
Pour mixture into the lined loaf tin and bake for approx. 80 minutes.
Once cooked, allow to cook in the loaf tin for five minutes, then remove from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
This bread can be frozen for up to 3 months.